Thursday, September 25, 2008

An Update, Some Clarity, My Structure

I have taken into consideration all that my panel and I had discussed, and the feedback that was given to me. I have re-read my proposal that I submitted at the beginning of my project and studied the information i have collected as well, and the main research question I have identified upon which my project is based is

What is the Importance of Design Intervention in Lieu with Sustainability of the Craft?


In order to answer this, I have come up with a structure for my information.

MACRO PICTURE OF TEXTILES ---- MICRO PICTURE OF BENGAL ------- BAILOU

To detail this out a little further,

> A basic background to understand the case. This will cover the historical aspect
of textiles, brief examples of crafts and their importance in the identity of the states
they are from (Manipur, Bengal, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Kashmir)

> The types of interventions that have taken place that has enhanced the value of
the craft and brought it to the foreground (Dastkar, Bailou, UMBVS)

> Detailed account of Bailou - the work it does, the structure, the synergy,
the weavers, their stories; a short history on this which will include
photographic and literary representation of the changes that have been
made, both in terms of products, as well as the market demand

> Example of International model of working that has been successful
in terms of sustainability (not in terms of craft, but ecology and development):
The Body Shop

> Conclusion that will include my findings, identifying problems in
the current system and offering suggestions, identifying further opportunities
for research.


I have also been given the structure that is normally followed when writing a research paper by one of my resource people, who is a Project Researcher for a non-profit research group that has been established to promote and foster best practice in sustainable development in Edinburgh. I will be following this structure for my documentation.

No comments: