Sunday, September 14, 2008

It has been quite a while since I last wrote and I apologize for that. A lot has happened since then - sometimes the pace seemed to pick up, and sometimes when it was so slow it was almost stagnant. I have realized that I have a severe allergy to the village, which doesn't work to my advantage at all! So, I've had to resort to daily trips in a car, which is exhausting, and cuts into extremely precious time. It hasn't been easy at all, because there are other orders that are being taken care of, and the pressure of the pujas being around the corner has caused quite a few set backs.

I have been to Bangalore for my 2nd Review Meeting
and I started my review by telling my panel all that I had achieved in the last month. I had been to Fulia, and started some work there, which I have documented. It was pointed out however, that the interaction between the weavers and me had not been documented, and that I will do over the remaining time here. Many questions were asked about the direction of my project and these helped me in trying to channelize all the information that I have gathered over the last two months. The feedback given to me was


> I needed to now consolidate my efforts and work with a strong and clear focus. To do this I am going to frame one clear research question upon which my project will be based.


> By identifying this focal point, I will be able to go into a little more in detail of this angle/aspect/focal point, which will give my project a definition.


> My panel has also given me a framework with some crucial questions that need to be addressed in terms of the research I am doing in Fulia – Questions that, once answered, will give me a clearer picture of the impact design intervention will have/has had on the weaving community. For example, what have been the weaving processes and raw material used? Weavers’ lives and identities? Markets? Product? Interventions?


> I was also advised to go back to the initial proposal I had written, and re-look at what I had intended to do at that time, and see what questions I already had answers for, and what areas I have not covered yet.


> To identify my stand in the information I have collected.

No comments: